Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Home


Growing up there was this heart that hung in our house that said, “Home is Where Your Heart Is.” I've seen and heard the saying many times since then, as I'm sure you have. Before our journey even began people were calling us homeless. To which we would smile and reply, “No, she's our home,” pointing to our Scamp. It's funny how now, we refer to whatever campsite were at as “home” in our conversations.

Part of the reason we came on this trip was to figure out where home will be. We will probably head back to Murfreesboro...or somewhere on the outskirts of Nashville but we're not commiting to it right now. I'll admit, I have a sort of fear of settling down somewhere. Maybe because my family moved so much growing up, maybe because it feels so permanent...whatever the reason, I needed to travel first. To be free to go wherever and not feel like I belong to a certain place. I've wanted to journey like this for so long and to now be doing it...it's overwhelming but oh so exciting.

We've barely scratched the surface of a trip that will likely end around Christmas...but we make no promises. Part of me would love to jump ahead and see where we are, who we are, how we've changed...if we've changed. But I'm content to wait out the journey and am practicing patience as we figure out this new camping life of ours.

We're in a town now that both of us love. The mountains are beautiful, the town small, the trees big and green. Whether it's that we actually love this place or that we were just overjoyed to finally see green grasses, mountains and trees again I'm not sure but we're loving this area. It's highly doubtful we'll ever call it home permanently but for now...the campsite in the woods, where the little scamp with the green curtains sits is our home...and we're happy here.

I know some people need a place they call home. A place that is theirs, a place for their stuff, for their memories...a place they feel they belong. I'm not saying I don't need that in a way too...I guess I just know that stuff will not make me happy. That nothing here really ever is mine and that what I want isn't here at all. This earth isn't my home. Will never be my home. I'm beginning to believe that this longing for travel and freedom, this fear or hesitance of being somewhere permanent...is my spirit crying out, “this world is not where I want to be!” I believe the deep longing for a place, a safe haven, something more...is our soul crying out to be at home with God. To know Him more deeply, trust Him more completely, to be filled with Him...and as I keep trudging along on this journey of life, I pray that I will be able to focus on filling my souls desires for a permanent home with Him.

~Jessi

blog comments powered by Disqus

  © Blogger template 'Perhentian' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP